Group therapy is an effective and often powerful means of self exploration and growth. Themes in most any group cover issues of shame, loneliness, grief, anxiety, disconnection, isolation, worry and anger. Some groups are more targeted to specific issues, but most groups cover a wide range of problems. Some key therapeutic factors that make group therapy so powerful are (Yalom and Leszcz 2005):
- gain a boost of self concept through extending help to other group members
- recognize that other members' success can be helpful and develop optimism for yourself
- The group provides members with an environment that fosters adaptive and effective communication
- begin to build trust and experience feelings of belonging
- release strong feelings about past and present experiences
- gain personal insight about their interpersonal impact through feedback provided by other members
- gain insight into psychological motivation underlying behavior and emotional reactions
As a board member of the Northeast Society of Group Psychotherapy and over 16 years of group therapy experience and training, I offer a group experience that is both safe and dynamic.
Men's Support Group
Tuesday Evening 7:00-8:15pm
A support group for men seeking a supportive environment to explore inner experiences and share with other men to gain better insight into one's self and relationships. Explore thoughts, feelings and experiences that may be preventing you from functioning at your highest level.
Exploring Gender & Sexual Identity
Thurday Evening 6:30-8:00pm (15 Sessions; Sept- Dec 2018)
A support group for individuals who are questioning and exploring their sexual orientation, and/or gender identity. Anyone on a spectrum of sexuality or gender are welcome including asexual and non-binary individuals. This group is a safe place to learn and explore questions and answers with others who also seek affirmation and support.
Mixed Gender Support Group for Professionals
Friday Mornings 7:30-8:45
A support group for professional men and women seeking a supportive environment to explore inner experiences and share with other men and women to gain better insights into one’s self, relationships and career. Explore thoughts feelings and experiences that may be preventing you from functioning at your highest level both personally and professionally.